Sunday, August 9, 2009

Williamsburg Bridge - the poem (just submitted to the New Yorker)


I recently unearthed this poem I wrote back in 1996 entitled Williamsburg Bridge. I read it to Alexandra, and I wasn't too embarrassed about it actually! I have always wanted to submit my poems to the New Yorker, and so this is the first. I now get five more submissions (their rules) and so I'm gonna be diggin' through the cyberfile cabinet, and even working on a couple of new pieces.

Hope you dig this:

Williamsburg Bridge


Earth smothered under pavement.
Light racing under tunnels.
Exhausted coughs blowing sandstorms.
Newspapers stretched across telephone wires.

Laughter shoots across dividers,
filled with skateboarding bounty hunters.

Red beams swinging counter-clockwise,
screaming at criminals hopping fences.




Written By: Michael Mercer
(Recently recovered, originally written in 1996)

2 comments:

  1. I love the line, "laughter shoots across dividers" I can hear it just by reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanX! yeah i was inspired when I was downtown, in NYC - watching skaters shoot across Houston St.

    ReplyDelete